This salad is usually served around Thanksgiving or Shemini Atzeret. Sometimes, my mother adds slices of poached pears or shredded carrots (which by the way, make a great combination) but my version is more standard.Some people often include nuts or apples. Use whatever satisfies you. This is a quick German inspired dish that serves nicely with corn beef.For this recipe, you will need:
- 3/4 pound of shredded red cabbage washed thoroughly
- 1 tablespoon of chopped fresh parsley
- 3 -4 scallions stems washed and chopped
- 1 tablespoon of freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/8 cup of light mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground black pepper
Combine all ingredients together. Mix well. Store in a container and allow it to sit in the refrigerator for at least an hour.
Yields approximately 4 servings.