This crisp and cool salad is as elegant and well balanced as it is simple. A little of vinegar and lemon juice adds a sweet and sour combination. Although this salad recipe is very basic, you can add peppers or avocado. For a more Asian flavor, use rice vinegar and sprinkle in some sesame seeds. This salad does require a couple hours of marinating in order for the flavors to come together. This salad makes a nice accompaniment for any meal.
For this recipe, you will need:
- 5 medium cucumbers washed and thinly sliced
- 1 medium white onion chopped
- 1/3 cup of white distilled white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon of chopped fresh dill
- 1 1/2 – 2 teaspoons of sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground pepper for taste
Place cucumbers and onion in a salad bowl. Whisk vinegar,lemon juice,sugar,salt,pepper, and dill. Drizzle over cucumbers and toss lightly. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2-4 hours before serving.
Yields 4-6 servings